Renovation to this 1950 “Filling Station” started with the removal of over 2,000 square feet of asphalt paving & planting native vegetation. The vegetation is strategically placed to shade the east and west side of the building and parking areas. This also created pervious areas which allows stormwater to peculate and recharge the aquafer and results in a drastic reduction in stormwater discharge. Recently the 8.4 kw Solar Photovoltaic System have been completed and the system is producing a net surplus of electricity. The PV panels also shade the roof and the south facing glass in the warmer months. The PV system is one of the the largest photovoltaic systems in Escambia County and one of the first commercial photovoltaic system in Escambia County. Future plans include, rainwater capture, evaporative cooling of the roof, and separate DC back-up power system.
3460 Barrancas Avenue may be the first “ZERO ENERGY” facility in Northwest Florida.